Typically for ages 4 and up. For younger children, click here.
For teaching the violin, we use a variety of teaching styles, including Suzuki, Rolland and the traditional conservatory style that includes scales, sight reading, songs, and more. Our instructors place strong emphasis on both reading music and playing by ear. In addition to weekly lessons, we often invite students to special, optional group gatherings to develop their talents even further.
- Where are the best places to rent or buy a violin?
Arts Music Shop
Homewood Musical Instruments
Be sure to ask about special discounts for students of Dawson Music Academy.
- How do I know what size violin to choose?
Each child is different, so it’s best to ask your instructor. Below are basic measurements to use for guidance.
Sizes of Violins
Ages 3 – 5
- 1/16: 14″ – 15 3/8″ arm length
- 1/10: 15 3/8″ to 17″ arm length
- 1/8: 17.1″ to 17.5″ arm length
Ages 4 – 7
- 1/4: 17.6″ to 20″ arm length.
Ages 6 -10
- 1/2: 20″ to 22″ arm length.
Ages 9 – 11
- 3/4: 22″ to 23.5″arm length.
- 4/4 or Full Size Violin: 23.5″ and up arm length.